Unit 3: Making Engineered products.
- Why are engineering drawings used by engineers?
- Where can examples of engineering drawing be seen?
- What are the two systems of measurement used in the United Kingdom?
- Describe in a paragraph the oldest system of measurement used.
- Describe in a paragraph the more modern system of measurement used today.
- Why is one of the systems simpler to use than the other?
- Name the different drawing instruments that can be used when producing a drawing with a drawing board.
- What is the name of the software used in school to produce engineering drawings?
- What does CAD stand for?
- List the different types of line that are used in an engineering drawing.
- Draw a Hidden Detail line.
- Draw a centre line.
- Show the difference between a solid line and a construction line.
- Draw a range of geometrical shapes and add dimension lines.
- Why do engineers produce drawings to scale?
- Draw a range of geometrical shapes.
- Redraw the geometrical shapes to a scale of 2:1.
- Redraw the geometrical shapes to a scale of 3:1.
- Redraw the geometrical shapes to a scale of 1:2.
- Redraw the geometrical shapes to a scale of 1:3.
- What essential details should an engineering drawing include?
- What is a 2D drawing?
- Name two types of 2D drawings that Engineers use to communicate information.
- What is a 3D Drawing?
- Name two types of 3D drawings used by engineers.
Marking out tools
- What is marking out?
- Why is it essential that the practical engineer uses marking out tools correctly?
- Produce a list of engineering marking out tools.
- Produce labelled sketches of a range of marking out tools.
- Describe how you have used marking out tools in the workshop.
Tools and equipment used by engineers.
- Name the three categories of tools used by engineers.
- Produce fully labelled sketches of a range of engineers’ hand tools.
- Produce fully labelled sketches of a range of engineers’ portable tools.
- Produce fully labelled sketches of a range workshop fixed equipment.
- Describe how you have used tools in the workshop.
Mechanisms and Motion
- What is a system? Use a diagram to explain your answer.
- What is a mechanism?
- What makes the ‘cam’ a mechanism?
- List the four different types of motion that the engineer is interested in when making mechanical mechanisms.
- Draw a diagram of a mechanical system that you have made in the workshop, ensuring that you add lots of descriptive labels to aid explanation.
- Name and describe at least 5 different types of mechanisms that use cams.
- What formula is used to remember the class of a lever? Explain how the formula is used.